We are pleased to release a “sample module” to the public. This sample module is an example of what contestants would see in the national contest. You can run this module on your own computer at your own leisure.
The sample module is packages in the Open Virtualization Format. We recommend using VirtualBox, but there are other virtualization tools that may work for you.
Your machine will need a modern processor, at least 8GB of RAM, at least 10GB of free hard drive space, and Administrator access on your machine.
- Download the Briefing Sheet and OVA File (above)
- Read the Briefing Sheet
- Import the OVA file into VirtualBox; you should see the module in your machine list
- Press the Green Start arrow, and the module will start. You can adjust the display settings.
- Modules are 30 minutes in length; try to investigate/solve as much as you can in 30 minutes.
- If you want to revert the module to it’s default state, there is a Snapshot named “Sample Module” that you can restore to.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.